If you’re a fan of instrumental rock, you should give this a listen. Points North are probably the best band you’ve never heard of. Hopefully that will soon change as these guys are just too good to not be heard by the masses. Eric Barnett, Uriah Duffy and Kevin Aiello are all seasoned musicians and their talent is on full display on this self titled CD. Let’s get to it.
1) Ignition – Starts the CD out with a bang. The video has over 100,000 views on YT. Heavy guitar from Eric. Stunning solo about the mid point. Kevin and Uriah playing for everything they’re worth. Nice bass solos by Uriah around the 3 minute mark
2) Northstar – Another rocker…….an Eric solofest!
3) Childs Play – They slow it down for this one. Some of the most passionate playing you will hear. They wind it up towards the end then bring it back down to earth.
4) Sky Punch – A hard rocker. Kevin, Uriah share the spotlight with Eric who flat shreds on this. I swear at one point, Uriah makes his bass sound like church bells.
5) Rites Of Passage – A moody ballad but what a track! Eric plays with such feeling while Uriah and Kevin play intricately behind him. An absolute stand out track on this CD…..or any CD for that matter. It doesn’t get much better than this!
6) Colorblind – Magna Carta wondered what they could put together for a “vocal” track and this is it. A catchy tune and I like it. No powerhouse vocals here but they pull it off nicely.
7) Harlequin – An intricately layered ballad that will leave you humming the melody in your head ALL DAY! Piano and a bit of Flamenco even……WOW!
8) Turning Point ( La Villa De Villers) – An epic Prog track. Get comfortable as this is going to take a while. Eric & Kevin playing it straight while Uriah;s bass line dances all over the place. They take it down a bit about the 3 minute mark and then some nice keyboards come in and then into a stellar solo by Eric.They wow you right to the end!
9) Redeye – A catchy radio friendly track to my ears. Hard rockin’ with some tasty bass work once again by Uriah Duffy.
10) Foxes & Cougars – The title conjures up images of fun loving females in my head anyway. This track sounds like that is exactly what is going on….three guys having a blast in the studio. This ones has a bit of boogie woogie to it.
11) Killer Pounder – Initially my fave on this CD. Flat out, straight ahead rocker! Kevin Aiello steals the show on this one to me. Eric reminds me of Ritchie Blackmore on this one…a bit of his tone in places and that staccato style. If you’re not banging your head to this one, your neck might be broken.
Check them out at http://www.pointsnorthband.com
Donate to IndiePulse Music Magazine’s Academic and Music Education Scholarship Program HeartBeat4Kids
IndiePulse Music Magazine creates Scholarships to help Youth In Need of assistance to complete their educational goals and stay in school.