Video game voice-over and film dubbing may seem similar to an ordinary person. But in reality, they have differences. To understand them, firstly, let’s clearly distinguish the difference between video game voice acting and film dubbing.
So video game voice-over usually refers to translating and recording the dialogue of a video game in another language. It is essential as it makes games accessible to players who don’t understand the original language. It helps players immerse themselves in the game’s narrative and characters.
Film dubbing is the process of re-recording the original dialogue with a translated or localized version in a different language. Film dubbing involves several stages, in particular:
- adaptation of conversations to match lip movements;
- the casting of appropriate voice actors;
- recording the new dialogue in a studio;
- post-production work to mix the new audio with the film’s soundtrack.
As you can see, video game voice-over and film dubbing share similarities in terms of the general concept of replacing dialogue with translated or localized versions. However, there are some key differences:
- Interactive nature. Video games are interactive, meaning that voice actors must provide multiple versions of the dialogue to accommodate different player choices. At the same time, film dubbing follows a linear narrative.
- Lip syncing. In film dubbing, it is crucial to match the dialogue with the lip movements of the on-screen actors as closely as possible. In video games, lip-syncing is more forgiving.
- Localization challenges. Video game voice-over involves more extensive localization efforts compared to film dubbing. Video games usually have compound narratives, cultural references, and in-game text that must be accurately adapted. Film dubbing requires localization as well but has a more straightforward adaptation process.
- Recording process. The recording process for both types of dubbing differs too. Film dubbing involves actors watching the original scenes and delivering their lines synchronizing with the on-screen actions. Video game dubbing, on the other hand, requires more fragmented recording sessions.
Despite these differences, both aim to provide an immersive experience for the audience. And to do this, they look for voice talents online.
So if you are looking for talented voice actors, you are welcome to dictors.com.ua. website. We provide professional voice-over services for different kinds of projects. Here you will face a database of professional announcers, including English male voice, Ukrainian male voice, and many others.
Choose the announcer you like and get a high-quality voice-over from dictors.com.ua.
Donate to IndiePulse Music Magazine’s Academic and Music Education Scholarship Program HeartBeat4Kids
IndiePulse Music Magazine creates Scholarships to help Youth In Need of assistance to complete their educational goals and stay in school.